Sunday, November 13, 2016

Uppercase Book #1 - The Sun is Also A Star Review

Hello, yall.  I'm always on the lookout for new books to read and decided to sign up for the Uppercase Box Subscription.  Each month, I'll get a signed book and a few trinkets.  To subscribe to uppercase books, go here.

This month, November, was my very first month on the service and I have to say, I was super impressed with the loot. 

This months box included:

Harry Potter Cookie Cutters (made by Frosted Co)
A Greeting Card Set (made by 9th Letter Press)
Carve the Mark by Veronica Roth Chapter Sample
Tattoo: Love Always Changes Everything
The Sun is Also A Star by Nicola Yoon (Signed!!)

Hand written note from founder of the company, Lisa!


The Sun Is Also A Star

Summary:

What happens when the girl who doesn't believe in fate and the boy who can't help but romanticize chance encounters meet?  Natashas' family has been told they have twelve hours to leave the county and, in a last ditch effort, heads off to see an immigration lawyer to attempt to delay the departure.  Daniel, by chance, is headed in the same direction to follow his fathers' dream for him.  When they meet, Daniel is completely smitten for her.  Can he convince her to give love a chance or will her analytical mind stop her from accepting something beautiful?

My Thoughts:

I've gotta say, I didn't think I would enjoy this book.  I picked it up and immediately disliked it.  I felt like the back and forth between the male and female protagonists (Natasha and Daniel) were a little too short before switching characters.  I also didn't like that the author would break from the point of view changes to give a "history lesson" of sorts. One of these times, she went into a lesson on multi-verses that (at the time) I really didn't feel was necessary.

But then, I kept reading.  I allowed myself to have an open mind and fall for these characters.  And fall for them I did.  As a white woman, it was hard for me to accept the reality that some races might be treated differently.  To see the way Natasha (the black female protagonist) handled this in a shop and the way Daniel (the Korean male protagonist) handle forced paths based on stereotypes.... my mind was completely blown.  It was hard to see how hopeless one might feel after immigrating to America and then having to leave.  I also have to say that I loved the ending.  It was an unexpected but beautiful way to bring the story together.

For opening my eyes to these truths, I have to tip my hat to Nicola Yoon.  I will be forever grateful to you for showing me this part of our world.

Have you read any good books lately? Post them in the comments and let me know your thoughts.  I'm always up to read a new book!